Family Specialist – Full Time Position, Laurens County, SC
Thornwell Home for Children – Building Families Program
Is God calling you to make a difference in the lives of families in your community? You can help strengthen families and create healthy homes as a Family Specialist with Thornwell’s Building Families Program! Thornwell, which has served children across Florida, Georgia and South Carolina for over a century, is seeking staff to expand its community ministry to families across the three states.
The Family Specialist will provide voluntary, intensive home-based services and parenting education to families utilizing the Teaching-Family Model of intervention. The Family Specialist will work with 3-5 families at a time, over an 8-14 week period, providing 4-6 hours of service to each family per week. The Family Specialist will provide group parenting classes and workshops, utilizing the Building Families parenting curriculum. The Family Specialist will also be responsible for identifying community referral sources, and maintaining ongoing contact and coordination with community partners.
The position of Family Specialist is a salaried, full-time, exempt position that requires home visits with supportive phone calls. Excellent salary (DOE), comprehensive benefits package, and Phone/Mileage reimbursement provided. The Clinton, SC- based Family Specialist will maintain office space on Thornwell’s Residential Campus and will provide services to families located in Laurens County, SC.
- The Family Specialist must have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- The Family Specialist will be supervised by a Master’s Level, Licensed Clinician and will be required to engage in regular case consultation meetings to ensure quality of services.
- Must be able to work afternoon and early evening hours to accommodate families’ schedules.
- Experience working with children with emotional and behavioral challenges and their families.
- Demonstrated understanding and acceptance of wraparound principles and family-centered services.
- Experience practicing in a family-driven, child-guided, culturally and linguistically competent and community-based manner.
- Experience in provision of home- and community-based services from a strengths-based perspective.
- Openness and flexibility in tailoring the service/support delivery system to meet the therapeutic needs of the child and family by being willing to listen and learn from the child and family through an individualized assessment and service planning process.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Roles and Responsibilities: Intensive home-based services:
- Provide strengths and needs assessment for children and families.
- Provide immediate stabilization, crisis planning, and intervention services.
- Provide case management and skill development for children and families.
- Develop, with children and families, a strength-based and individuated service plan based on the strengths and needs assessment.
- Ensure the services are individualized, family driven, child guided, culturally competent and community based.
- Ensure that children and families are supported in transitioning from intensive services to an empowered family system with natural and community supports in aftercare services.
Collaboration with Building Families staff and other Community Based Providers:
- Provide services from a team-based approach, including support to other staff members and collaborative projects as assigned.
- Participate in individual and group supervision to enhance service delivery.
- Participate in ongoing trainings and staff development, to include consultation and support towards practitioner certification in the Teaching-Family Model.
- Provide needed documentation and communication with partners.
- Participate in community-based multidisciplinary staffings to ensure effective service delivery.
Program Marketing and contact with Referral Sources:
- Identify and meet with appropriate community-based referral sources to make them aware of the service and explain process of referring families.
- Maintain ongoing contact with referral sources to foster positive, collaborative relationships.
- Provide community Workshops (curriculum provided by Thornwell) to raise awareness of service availability and engage families in the community.
- Provide group Parenting Classes (curriculum provided by Thornwell) to church congregation and community based participants.
For consideration, please submit the following to HR@thornwell.org
- Cover Letter in which you specifically address why you wish to serve in this role, how your skills and experience have uniquely qualified you for this position, and salary requirements.
Please no faxes, phone calls, or recruiters. Qualified candidates in whom we have further interest will be contacted. Please note our process for hiring qualified candidates will involve the following, as per agency policy and in order to comply with all federal and state laws and licensing requirements:
- Phone and in-person interview, drug testing, background checks, academic degree and licensing verification, and reference checking.
Position open until filled.